1.23.2007

dirt

I got the call this morning around ten. Tom was very gracious - he said that the decision had been a hard one, but that another applicant had an edge in farming experience and they ended up going that way. I saw it coming - I had a feeling that my lack of concrete hands-in-the-soil farm work would count against me in a close race. I am still planning on volunteering at the farm this spring and summer (to rack up some of those dirt hours, for future employment ... but mostly because I love watching unsuspecting ten year olds bite into sorrel.)

This week has been so full of other unexpected things (most of them bad, none of them unmanageable) that this just runs with the swing of it, and I'm taking it in stride.

Looking at the bright side, I will be able to get through more of the masters program quickly and will also be relatively free this summer to enjoy all the crazy wilderness we moved up here for. Maybe now I can justify getting that Cape Horn. At least, that is what I am telling myself this afternoon. The reality is we're back to Plan B. Substitute teaching. Ick.

4 comments:

beholdhowfree said...

well, shit.....

At A Hen's Pace said...

Oh, Mary, I'm so sorry.

Yeah, I've BTDT on the substitute teaching. Hoping something better than that comes along for you.

Cool that all that crazy wilderness awaits you, though!

Bummed for you...

Jeanne

tangle said...

thanks, both of you. i have been scanning classifieds with no luck. but school is so much now my mind has hardly had time to let it sink in, much less head to that next ever mysterious thing ...

Anonymous said...

so it remains a cruel world in many regards, predisposed to (almost) cosmic levels of unfairness. you seem to be taking it in stride however, and indeed, the summer will be wonderful. sorry it didn't work out though.

jon